Search This Blog

Medical Monitor is the Best

I decided to finally spend some time in my recently-restarted C3/DS world, and boy did the Medical Monitor make a difference. Now able to stamp out diseases before they permanently harmed my creatures, I could focus on other things, like my fool's errand of trying to get the Grendels and Hardman Norn to get along. 

They still require a lot of oversight, but another feature of the Medical Monitor means I don't have to constantly hover, at the very least. In addition to toxins and diseases, it also alerts me to creatures in pain, allowing me to swoop in and break up fights. No longer can they get away with beating each other as long as I'm not looking! The Hand Knows All!

As the Norns grew out of infancy, I moved them all to the Woodland Terrarium. I don't know how I ever used to play with creature voices on in this game, since they're all so remarkably vocal about everything! It's much more relaxing with them muted. It's also easier to hear slaps, not that this makes much difference, since the Norns like to cluster together, especially behind the hill by the pond, which makes it hard to determine who's getting slap-happy and harder to administer punishment without hitting bystanders.

While the Norns mostly stayed put in the Woodland, I got to thinking about the Grendels again. Given that I'm not breeding them in this world, should I really even have them here? Keeping them with Norns is proving to be unnecessarily stressful, and I find myself moving them to the Desert or Jungle anyway. Perhaps it would be better to have a Grendel-only world - especially if I eventually get into breedmaking for C3, as I have a few ideas for Grendels!

For the time being, I'm letting Nightpond and Moonwolf live out their lives in Eden, but I may not hatch more after them. I'll have more than enough Norns to keep an eye on anyway! Oh yes, the quick response enabled by Medical Monitor has ensured there are no fertility issues this time around.

In fact, to keep from being overwhelmed, I've set the population limit and they're running up against it, so I shouldn't be getting too many more eggs. With Medical Monitor and the hoverdoc, sickness is not a grand drama as it is in Creatures 1. Instead it's just a brief flurry of activity as I hose down the creature with pink fog and, occasionally, try to counteract dangerously low glycogen levels. The only other events of note are having to break up fights or pull Norns out of the stickletrout pond, and some minor world maintenance.

So the question is... what do I do now? Well, I suppose I have a few ideas for agents to work on that will need long-term testing...

1 comment:

  1. You might like to try the Toys-Out, Critical Hit, Like Loop Fix and Pregnancy Cost mods to help with some of the issues you’ve mentioned in this post, all available via the Creatures Wiki. ;)

    ReplyDelete