Search This Blog

Settling into a new home

[Originally written August 21 2020]

Things went pretty well for a time after the migration! Loki and Freya performed the cutest drum duet together, while their mother preferred the ball. Horatio chilled on the lower level, as Treehuggers are wont to do, and Thor rested quietly in the treehouse. Lorenzo was a bit bolder, and got his kicks from exploring the Bridge.

Determined to keep the Bengal genes in the population and not thinking things through, I hatched a new first generation Norn, Baldur, whose birth also confirmed that the world’s notifications were still broken.  So I packed everyone up a second time, and moved once again to a new world. Once again, I had eggs in my inventory that I didn’t want to leave behind, so I hatched and exported them – but I’m not going to reimport them right away. Rather, they’ll just hang out in my export folder until I would normally hatch an egg.

This time I didn’t bother with intercepting eggs, I just went straight to the Comms room, injected and deleted the Banshee stone to update the Grendel voices, imported Tamora and Rosalind, removed the teleport pad, and locked the Meso door while I went to set up the world. I didn’t bother with putting grass in the Jungle this time, but I still set up the Aquarium, rescued the rhino beetle from the Jungle and moved it to the beach in the Aquarium room, added the awkwood creepers, put chili pepper pots in the appropriate places, put copies of the mini empathic vendor where desired, brought some balloon bugs to the Woodland to feed to the fish, introduced bramboo to the Woodland and Desert and tubas to the Jungle and Desert, stocked my inventory with my typical “medicine cabinet” of potions and cheese, and banished the C3 camera doodads to the “noisy corner” of the Bridge, near the ship’s lungs. Finally, I reimported the creatures and moved them to the Terrarium. Setup is intensive!

I had a brief balloon bug infestation in the Woodland – that tends to happen if you’re not careful about the bug you select to bring in. For some reason, balloon bugs can be effectively used as permanent fish food in the Woodland, but if you pick up the wrong one it’ll reproduce like crazy and some of the bugs will escape the pond. I was able to catch the escaped ones and move them back to the Desert, and eventually had things under control.

I also took the opportunity to add Grendel Man’s offline warp portals to my world – one in the Meso and one in the Terrarium. See, when playing Creatures I’m generally pretty obsessive about keeping them all in one safe place. Maybe that’s why I have historically favored the Meso. This time I’m actively trying to fight that tendency and let them wander a little more. As such, I have unlocked all the Capillata doors (except the ones leading to and from the Comms room) and put the Workshop teleporter pads in the Woodland, Aquarium beach, and Desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment